- This topic is empty.
21. March 2008 at 17:35 #1059BryanMember
- Total Post: 4
Well, over this last week, I have learned lots about Wyse devices. Recently downloaded and started to use Wyse Device Manager 4.5.3. I learned that I can push out images and also capture images.
For the Wyse 3150, I took the latest firmware, Build 559, removed the add-ons like IE and ICA (we only need RDP), added the Daylight add-on patch, made configuration changes including adding a user account and password protecting the admin account, and finally capture this image to WDM.
Afterwards, I was able to push this image to other Wyse 3150 devices. This appears to work as the user account is showing and the admin account is password protected. I havenâ€™t reviewed all configuration changes yet and plan too.
My question is I have read articles that say I should use ConfGen to push settings to CE versions and/or bundled registry settings with a primer image.
I realized I still have lots to learn and wanted to confirm that what Iâ€™m currently doing is fine? My process appears to be working and yet I have to signoff this project and so any helpful comments would be much appreciated.
Bryan21. March 2008 at 21:32 #12303ConfGenKeymaster
- Total Post: 11009
- Jedi Master
your process is, let’s say, OK. But your image is very big and still contains a lot of unnecessary things.
You should do the following:
– Call Wyse and ask for a CE primer. This is free of charge for you. A primer is a CE firmware without any addons. So only around 9MB in size.
– Push this primer to a 3150
– push the wanted addons, like RDP, WDM agent, Time fix, etc to that 3150
– configure the 3150
– use WDM to “get device configuration”
– look under ftprootrapportpackagename for a file called settings.reg
– use my tool to make out of this settings.reg a CE addon
– use WDM again to “bundle” one image out of all components
– right click Package manager – New – Package – CE bundled image
– use primer a base image
– do not use any registry settings
– put all addons including “my” addon
– the result is a small CE image that contains all addons and settings
– the best thing is, that it will override all settings on units it will be pushed to and if you do a factory reset some time it will fall back to your settings and not Wyse settings.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.