S30 and 3150 error message during upgrade from build 541

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #3765
    ConfGen
    Keymaster
    • Total Post: 11409
    • Jedi Master
    • ★★★★★★★

    I have been getting a very annoying error while trying to upgrade some of my company’s S30 and 3150 WinTerms via FTP (both from the terminal and pushed from WDM). During the “Erasing Flash” part of the upgrade, an error message will pop up saying “Error in WindowCache Setting the Registry” and the upgrade will not continue until I click “ok” on the error message’s window. This message will sometimes pop up twice during an upgrade; once before the terminal even reads the firmware bin file in addition to the consistent error message during the “erasing flash” stage.

    The upgrade will continue normally after I click “ok” on the error message window(s), and the terminals seem to be working fine afterward, but having to physically go to or VNC into every terminal makes unattended batch upgrades nearly impossible.

    To make matters worse, the upgrade wil not only freeze until I click “ok” on the errors, but the error messages also have a nasty habit of randomly popping up underneath the upgrade progress window instead of on top, making them impossible to click on.

    This problem only seems to happen when trying to upgrade WinTerms running CE 5.0 build 541 (other builds do not have this problem), but it has consistently happened on every 541 terminal I have tried so far.

    Any idea what may be causing this error or what is affected by it? And is there a way other than imaging via PXE to get around this error so I do not have to click “ok” on every terminal?

    According to WDM, my company still has 834 WinTerms (a combination of S30 and 3150 terminals) still running build 541, so any help and/or information would be greatly appreciated.

    #16393
    ConfGen
    Keymaster
    • Total Post: 11409
    • Jedi Master
    • ★★★★★★★

    Do you have a bootstrap212.exe in your update folder?

    CG

    #16402
    ConfGen
    Keymaster
    • Total Post: 11409
    • Jedi Master
    • ★★★★★★★

    Yes, the bootstrap212.exe file was automatically placed in the update folder by WDM when the package was created.

    #16406
    ConfGen
    Keymaster
    • Total Post: 11409
    • Jedi Master
    • ★★★★★★★

    Remove it and try again.

    CG

    #16415
    ConfGen
    Keymaster
    • Total Post: 11409
    • Jedi Master
    • ★★★★★★★

    I removed the bootstrap212.exe file, but it didn’t stop the windowcache error from popping up.

    It did, however, solve another issue I was having where the S30 would spontaneously reset itself in the middle of upgrading if the update was pushed via FTP from WDM. So I’m happy for that, at least. 🙂

    As far as this “error in WindowCache setting the registry” message goes, I’m not overly worried about the error itself (but if you have any idea what it means, I’d really like to know.) I really just want it so that I don’t need to manually click “ok” on every terminal that gets it, since I will need to do mass overnight upgrades for our remote offices.

    #16418
    ConfGen
    Keymaster
    • Total Post: 11409
    • Jedi Master
    • ★★★★★★★

    Can you check the memory settings under Control Panel – System.
    Try to adjust this a bit different. Maybe this helps. If it does, we will find a way to create a rsp script to change the memory settings remotely.

    CG

    #16424
    ConfGen
    Keymaster
    • Total Post: 11409
    • Jedi Master
    • ★★★★★★★

    I tried adjusting the memory settings, but nothing changed. I’m almost wondering if it’s a problem with the ICA plugin this particular firmware package is using, as that’s the only thing I can see “windowcache” referring to. (It’s an option in “ICA performance” on the control panel.)

    This particular image was created and deployed long before I was hired, so I’m not sure who made it or what settings/tweaks were used.

    Update: I just downloaded the official build 541 from Wyse’s website and flashed it to a 3150, and it had the same problem upgrading to 590 as my company’s production terminals. It must be a problem with the firmware itself or the ica addon included in that particular build…

    Upgate again: It turns out that the “ICA performance” is a completely separate addon from “ICA” in build 541. I installed the official 541 on my test 3150 again, uninstalled “ICA performance” and tried the upgrade, and… it upgrades without any errors!

    I’ll just have to create a script specifically for the 541 terminals that deletes the “ICA Performance” addon before installing the updated firmware.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.