How does HAgent get set to disabled?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #921
    AvatarAmerist
    Participant
    • Total Post: 61
    • Back Stage Pass
    • ★★★★

    I am in the process of creating a baseline V90LE image for my company and then cloning this image to nine other V90LE winterms. I have been in a situation of zero “configured winterm” production for the last couple of days because my winterms stopped showing up in WDM once I imaged them with my configured image.

    I have Wyse device manager 4.5.3 set up on a dell desktop running XP Pro and DHCP turbo. When I pull a brand new winterm out of the box for the first time and attach it to my little private network I’ve got set up specifically for imaging winterms, the winterm shows up in WDM just fine (albeit as a G90 – separate issue). It gets the Rapport address all by itself like it’s supposed to, and reboots.

    When I configure a winterm I am basically setting some registry settings to keep the password from expiring and setting pass-through authentication on citrix program neighborhood and adding the device to the domain, setting some permissions, blah blah blah… you get the picture.

    Once I finish configuring it, it’s time to have its image pulled by my little private WDM network, but the device does not show up at all in WDM. The IP address for rapport is set correctly in the control panel, but it seems something in the winterm itself breaks after I configure it. I suspected that it might have something to do with adding it to my other network.

    Now you probably agree with me that this makes ZERO sense, but yet I have four winterms on my desk that through configuration for this other network now will refuse to see my WDM and vise-versa.

    So I have been scouring this site for any trace of information that I could find about this little problem and I was just going through one thing after another until I came to the informational post about HAgent.

    That’s when it all came together. Somehow my HAgent on my configured winterms were all set to disabled?!? So I switched the service to Automatic and started the service and suddenly they popped back into WDM where I can do everything I want to with them again.

    Problem solved, but what caused the HAgent to switch to disabled? Could it be some group policy on the network that stops the service on the winterm?

    #11660
    Avatarthinkthin
    Member
    • Total Post: 1707
    • Jacked into The Matrix
    • ★★★★★★

    This looks very much like a GP being set here to disable unknown services.

    I would make a OU for your winterms and modify the join domain script to put them into this OU. After that create a group policy that blocks the inheritance of other policies and applies ones that suits the winterms,

    Cheers,
    -TT

    #11728
    Avatarkaraziel
    Member
    • Total Post: 74
    • Back Stage Pass
    • ★★★★

    I believe the HAgent is disabled on XPe devices from the factory during the run-once first boot process. Its possible that you interrupted that process inadvertently so it didn’t automatically turn Hagent on like normal.

    For the issue reporting as G90…you just need new image from Wyse.

    Also, why are you joining them to the Domain? Just curious.

    -k

    #12124
    AvatarAmerist
    Participant
    • Total Post: 61
    • Back Stage Pass
    • ★★★★

    Thanks, karaziel. I never thought of that.

    Well, that could be my problem right there… I have my images frozen at the point where they are just about to reboot after running the prep4man.bat located in C:Windowssetup. The ‘Machine re-sealed, click OK to reboot’ is the last interaction I have with my winterms before they get their image pulled by WDM.

    The reason I use this is because upon first boot, each device that gets an image pushed to it from WDM has the hostname automatically updated to XPE&MAC and the SID is updated in the registry so there won’t be any problems when I join them to the domain.

    This way all I have left to do is add the device to the domain, run winlog.cpl to set the default login domain, adjust the date and time, delete the User account, and enable the write filter. At that point, the device is ready for deployment.

    I’m going to go sniffing around in the batch files to find out where this switch occurs and keep it from killing my HAgent.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.