“Find devices” doesn’t work anymore!

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #3061
    Fox
    Member
    • Total Post: 18
    • Regular Joe
    • ★★

    Hi!

    I’m new to Wyse thin clients and currently trying to configure the WDM environment (workgroup edition) correctly. I installed WDM 4.7.2 on a Windows 2003 R2 server, defined two IP ranges and let “Find devices” discover two V50LE devices in these IP ranges. Yesterday, it worked immediately, but today I deleted the two devices from the Device Manager list, tried to re-discover them, but no devices are found anymore! (The devices themselves seem to work, they both get connections to our Citrix servers.)

    The log says: “[NETX] – Discovery completed. Found 0 device(s).

    What could have gone wrong? Any ideas how to make the discovery process work again?

    Thank you!

    #16124
    ConfGen
    Keymaster
    • Total Post: 11410
    • Jedi Master
    • ★★★★★★★

    I never recommend using the Find Devices option but to use the DHCP option tag 186 instead. This way the client do get the WDM IP directly on boot time and you do not have to search each time for new clients.
    More on implementing DHCP option tags can be found in my “First Steps” documents on my website.

    CG

    #16125
    Fox
    Member
    • Total Post: 18
    • Regular Joe
    • ★★

    @ConfGen wrote:

    I never recommend using the Find Devices option but to use the DHCP option tag 186 instead. This way the client do get the WDM IP directly on boot time and you do not have to search each time for new clients.
    More on implementing DHCP option tags can be found in my “First Steps” documents on my website.

    CG

    Myself, I also would prefer this automatic method via the DHCP method. I tried it out as well and it isn’t currently working either (but it was yesterday!). Control Panel – Rapport Agent still shows the correct address and port (80) of the WDM server.

    I tried rebooting the WDM server, without success. Of course, I haven’t activated any firewall on the server. Even after a reboot of the thin client, the Device Manager doesn’t list it. A ping from the thin client to the WDM server works.

    Rapport4 and MSSQL services are running on the WDM machine, HServerInit service is set to “Automatic”, but isn’t running; if I start it, it stops after a few seconds (maybe this one is just an initialization process as its name suggests?) The event log doesn’t

    The WDM server is a virtual machine running under VMware ESX (if this is useful information).

    Any further ideas?

    #16133
    ConfGen
    Keymaster
    • Total Post: 11410
    • Jedi Master
    • ★★★★★★★

    On my website you can find a great WDM troubleshooting doc. Take a look in there.

    CG

    #16299
    karaziel
    Member
    • Total Post: 74
    • Back Stage Pass
    • ★★★★

    If it has the Right IP, then there is no need for “discovery”

    You’ll need to look at whether the device is attempting to checkin to that server (HAgent could be disable). Use a network trace to capture HTTP traffic between the server and client. If the device attempts to checkin you should get some response from the server. It might show an error from WDM rejecting the checkin string for some reason.

    -k

    #16305
    ltd2007
    Member
    • Total Post: 43
    • Frequent Flyer
    • ★★★

    i originally ran into some issues getting devices discovered… switched to the dhcp option tag and as mentioned this works much better…

    A good way to do a quick test I found is to

    VNC into one of your devices (that is not showing up in WDM) ,
    go into the control panel and open up the WDM agent (might be called RAPPORT in older devices I am not sure…)
    enter the IP address of your WDM server there.
    Restart your device.
    a few minutes after your device has restarted you should see it in the WDM database (device listing).

    If not, I would imagine there is some sort of network or communication problem between your server and the device…

    Last resort would be to re-install WDM on another box and see if the same procedure works on it… (pointing the device to your new wdm installation instead)… if the device comes up on your new install its most likely some sort of software error on your original WDM box.

    hope it helps!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.