3150 not imageable

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    not_very_wyse
    • Total Post: 13
    • Regular Joe
    • ★★

Hi,

I need to reimage a 3150 because it doesn’t go pass the yellow winterm screen during boot up. However, i can not see this unit in device manager in WDM 4.4.1. Other 3150s can be seen and imaged with no problem.

I also have built another server with WDM 4.5.3 loaded which for some reason only the linux v50L appears as imageable, the 3150 shows up unimageable.

I would prefer the 3150 to work with the new WDM server but either would be fine for now.

Can someone please provide assistance as i have at least a dozen of these 3150 sitting on the yellow winterm screen.

Thanks,
    not_very_wyse

ConfGen
    Keymaster
    • Total Post: 10696
    • Jedi Master
    • ★★★★★★★

A Wyse unit sitting at the BIOS screen isn’t a good place to start. t that moment neither PXE nor CE has been invoked. So there is no easy way to flash the unit.
    I will give you one way but keep in mind that this way is not foolproof.

– Open a working (!) unit and locate the BIOS chip. This is normaly the only one sitting in a socket. It is about 1cm² in size. You can pull this chip with either a screwdriver very carefully (don’t break the chip or socket) or better to use a special tool which can be bought in every electronic shop.
    – Do the same with a broken unit
    – Put the working chipin the broken unit
    – Create a device in WDM manually and schedule a PXE job to that device
    – Roll the package to boot by right clicking the job in the Update Manager
    – Boot the broken unit
    – As soon as the PXE request is answered and maybe 5-10 lines of code have srolled over the screen (doesn’t really matter if 5 or 10), press “Pause” on the keyboard. This imaging process will stop.
    – Now pull the working BIOS chip out of the unit while it is running and put the broken one in it
    – Press any key to continue imaging

I know this way sounds strange and quite dangerous but I did it myself several times without ever killing one unit. This does not mean it will ALWAYS but at least in my case I had quite a good success rate.

Background: In your case the BIOS chip is corrupted and part of the PXE imaging process of Wyse is flashing the BIOS. As we are using a working BIOS chip to boot the unit, we can start the imaging process. Then we change the chip and the process is now flashing the broken one with a new BIOS.

The only other option you would have is to send the units to a Wyse Service Center.

CG

not_very_wyse
    • Total Post: 13
    • Regular Joe
    • ★★

Thanks ConfGen! I will give that a go.

Not_very_wyse.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.