3150 boot issues.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    • Total Post: 9
    • Regular Joe
    • ★★

Hi all.

I have just completed a Windows Server 2008 Lab Server build which is acting as a terminal server (CALs installed and activated), DNS and DHCP server. All machines on the network are working fine.

I want to experiment with thin client devices and have just acquired a Winterm 3150SE (second hand).

However I received errors upon boot up that I wander if anyone is able to help or point me in the right direction for further research…?

The BIOS is set to boot 1) LAN, 2) USB, 3)HDD. When booting, I can see the unit searcing for a DHCP address but can’t see any errors. I can’t see any address issued on the server, so I guess that it is failing. (The 3150 is connected with a CAT5e cable to a 10/100/1000mbps switch (unmanaged) and connected to the server. All other machines on the switch see the server & get DHCP no probs and I can see link activity on the port).

The device then proceeds to tell me:

PXE-E53: No boot filename received.
      PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM
      No boot device presnt. Halting.

Is this because there is no DHCP being assigned? What more can I do?

I have read about the control panel for the device, but can’t get to anything other than the bios. Do you think that this device needs reflashing to factory defaults (in case it has a different subnet already deployed?)

If so, how do I reflash?

Cheers in advance, and sorry for the noob questions!

Regards,
    Pete

ConfGenConfGen
    Keymaster
    • Total Post: 11280
    • Jedi Master
    • ★★★★★★★

Hi Pete,

“no boot device means, that either the flash is just corrupted or it is missing/broken.
    If it just corrupted you can reflash the unit using Wyse Simple Imager (WSI). Look at wyse.com for CE downloads (select retired products-3150). There you should find the firmware (look for PXE version. You can see that after extracting the zip file. It should contain an .i2d file) and WSI plus a guide how to use WSI.

After installing WSI the unit will get an ip address at the beginning. If there is no WSI or WDM -Wyse Device Manager- or any other PXE server, it is normal that the client will not get an address at this stage.

CG

• Regular Joe
    • ★★

Thanks – I’ll give this a go and let you know.

I’ve checked the ‘Preparing a Server Environment’ part of the Wyse docs for the 3150 and it just says that Terminal Services needs to be installed – which it is….

Do I need any other server side software / emulation running to provide the PXE environment that the Wyse is looking for?

Cheers
    Pete

ConfGenConfGen
    Keymaster
    • Jedi Master
    • ★★★★★★★

NO, WSI or WDM do the PXE part.
    But PXE it not needed for the normal setup of the client. Just for reflashing really bad broken units like yours.
    All other updates can be done via simple FTP.

CG

• Regular Joe
    • ★★

We’re getting there….

Installed WSI & TFTPD on my server and followed the quick reference guide (except changing the scope of my dhcp as I have other live services).

Booted the 3150, (Boot order: HDD, PXE, USB) and it found DHCP and got a DHCP address, gateway etc. Initially it wouldn’t see the boot server until I changed the server’s NIC gateway from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 and then all OK.

It then found TFTPD and received it’s .i2d file successfully and continued through a long script.

At the end of the script the 3150 rebooted but went throught the loop again and again.

After a few reboots I closed TFTPD and WSI to remove them from the PXE environment. The device then gave an error of PXE-E32 TFTPD Timeout.

Does this mean that the flash has failed? The logs directory is completely empty (C:inetpubftprootRapportToolssalogs) so I have no other information to offer.

Any ideas?

I downloaded from here:

http://www.wyse.com/serviceandsupport/support/dlOraFW.asp?which=24&model=3150

The tope firmware Version: 5.0 Build: 559 US – CE WFR2 release, assuming that it’s the right one for my unit (although the one underneath looks different….?

I used the WSI download link at the bottom of the same page (v1.3.2)

ConfGenConfGen
    Keymaster
    • Jedi Master
    • ★★★★★★★

Did the always report TFTPD timeout error now?

• Regular Joe
    • ★★

I don’t understand?

TFTPD seemed to work fine every time it rebooted (and went through the reboot loop). Not sure if I had the right firmware though. See above.

I let the TFTPD finish its install and when the unit rebooted, I closed TFTPD so that it didn’t exist, but the unit still failed to install.

Does PXE still need to be the primary boot device when flashed successfully or hard disk?
    What should I see when the unit is successfully flashed?

Thanks again,
    Pete

• Total Post: 1686
    • Jacked into The Matrix
    • ★★★★★★

Hi,

Before you do that “no boot device” suggests the flash has popped out. Open up the box and re-seat the flash as I have seen this on 3150’s before.

Also not sure what the experience will be like connecting from a RDP5x client (thats what 3150’s have) the 2008 server. This would not be my pick of boxes for the job,

Cheers,
    -TT

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.