Updating 3 different S30 winterms? Many questions.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  IceEyes 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Galane
    Participant
    • Total Post: 10
    • Regular Joe
    • ★★

I have three WYSE S30’s, manufacture dates are 2008, 2009, 2011. All have 128 meg RAM. The two older ones have 64 meg flash. The newest has 128 meg flash.

The two newest have Windows CE 6.0 while the oldest has Windows CE 5.0.

The 2011 one boots to a desktop environment where things can be done, just like Windows. The other two boot to a screen expecting to to connect to a server. I can get the control panel but in the System settings I’m unable to check the factory reset box. (That is available in the newest one.)

The two newer ones have BIOS 4.6, the oldest has an earlier version. (I’d have to check to find the exact version.) Is 4.6 the newest BIOS?

Can the ones with 64 meg flash disks be configured to boot to the Win CE desktop or are they stuck as smart-ish server terminals?

I found the last updates for CE 5 and 6 on Dell’s website, but how do I use them?

Can I update the CE 5 one to CE 6? I downloaded three versions of the USB Firmware Tool from Dell, to find out it’s useless for updating Windows CE unless you already have a device of the same hardware configuration with the CE version you want to copy/repilcate. I assume the winterms have to be on a LAN along with the desktop running the USBFT.

That has me wondering, if I got two more 128 meg modules if I could remove the flash from the 2011 S30, connect it to my desktop and use AOMEI to clone it then at least have all three running CE 6.0 WFR2? Of course updating to WFR5 would be nice.

If I just swap in a larger SODIMM, will they automatically adapt?

I found that there was an S90 upgrade kit with 512 meg RAM and Flash and XP Embedded, but nobody has any for sale – and if they did I could just buy some used, newer WYSE clients with Windows 7 or 8 embedded for the price they have on their sites.

Galane
    Participant
    • Regular Joe
    • ★★

FINALLY got the one with 128 meg flash to update.

#1. Apparently 4.6 is the final BIOS version. That didn’t change. It won’t hurt to make your drive with the BIOS on it. If the Windows CE version installed is 6.0 Wyse WFR5 Hot Fix 1 (Build 674) You have the latest version already. Flashing this will reset it to factory defaults, which is a good thing if it’s stuck in terminal or kiosk mode or boots to desktop mode with things locked down. This is your chance to unlock settings – or lock them if that’s what you’re after.

#2. Download BootStick.zip from here and unzip it. http://support.dvsus.com/hc/en-us/articles/212925426-Creating-FreeDOS-USB-boot-stick-for-BIOS-flashing

#3. Use a ONE GIG USB drive. I went round and round with a couple of different 4 gig and 8 gig drives, the rare times they’d boot, something in the process of pulling or pushing the BIOS and flash would fail. The one that worked for me is an old PNY Atache. Silver and purple with RED LED between the ‘arms’ of the silver part. They also made ones that look the same but have a GREEN LED closer to the USB connector. I have not tried that one.

#4. In a command prompt, go to the syslinux directory under where you unzipped BootStick.zip. Enter this command, replacing X: with your target drive letter. syslinux.exe -fma X:

#5. Download the top file here. It says it’s for 128 meg but that’s wrong. It’s for 64 meg and flashing this will reduce the partition size to 64 meg. https://appservices.wyse.com/pages/serviceandsupport/support/dlOraFW.asp?which=57&model=S30 It’s self extracting so note where it goes.

#6. Use version 1.19.0.4 of the USB Firmware Tool. https://www.technicalhelp.de If you want to pull an image, select Windows CE and your target drive. The file to browse for is 674Wye08_S46_MER.rsp

#7. Make sure the S30 is shut down then plug the USB drive in. The LED will blink some. WAIT for it to stop blinking!

#8. Hit D on the keyboard to boot to BIOS setup. No response? Disconnect and reconnect power, WAIT for the power button light to go out then hit D again. Still doesn’t work? Repeat the power cycle. Got into BIOS setup but can’t type Fireport for the password? Power cycle. Got in but keyboard quits working after you type F? *sigh* repeat, effing repeat power cycling until the bleeping thing gives up and works. If it never will boot to BIOS setup, try a different keyboard.

#9. Hit the down arrow to highlight IDE then hit Enter until it changes to USB. Down arrow again to highlight the second USB then hit Enter until it changes to IDE. Hit X and if the ones and zeroes are properly aligned your S30 will boot from the USB *and nothing will go worng*.

#10. This step just involves waiting until you get a prompt to type y or n and hit Enter. Of course you’re hitting y or you wouldn’t have gone to all the trouble above! IF it completes the pull or push, you’ll get a prompt to hit Enter to reboot. Hit Enter then yank out the USB drive or it will just boot off it again. It will boot off the flash and switch the boot order in the BIOS back to IDE USB PXE. If you pushed the image from Dell, your flash drive partition size will be reduced to 64 megabytes.

How can I change the partition back to full size? Any chance that AOMEI or another partition editor on Windows can adjust it without screwing it up, if I remove the flash disk from the S30 and connect it to a PC with a 2.5″ to 3.5″ IDE adapter?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  Galane.

Galane
    Participant
    • Regular Joe
    • ★★

Oops. Delete to boot to BIOS setup, not D.

Galane
    Participant
    • Regular Joe
    • ★★

Yes, the update did reduce the partition size on the flash. Part number 8Y.40D16.7256B comes up as 128 megabytes.

But wait, the other two have a literally bigger surprise. Part number 81.49014.5200B is 512 megabytes.

Either WYSE sold them as 32 megabyte units or whomever set up their original images somehow limited the partition size. Holding G then powering up to reset to factory (and enable booting to Desktop mode) somehow bumped them up to 64 megabytes.

That had me puzzled a bit, how did one device fit CE 6.0 on 32 meg when another had 128? Configured it with just the absolute bare bones core of the OS? Then when I did the reset and found it had everything the 128 meg unit had, then I saw the storage increased to 64 megabytes… Well, isn’t that suspicious!

Now the task before me is how do I expand all three to use the full capacity of their flash disks?

edgardigital
    Participant
    • Total Post: 1

Thanks for the detailed instruction.

Mine is 2012 and used and after POST and a screen that says press ENTER,  goes straight to login screen (which has some IP address on it)  .  Holding DELETE while power on does not do anything.  All I need todo is reset it and get rid of the old login screen .

Please advise

Galane
    Participant
    • Regular Joe
    • ★★

Turn the S30 on then when the logo appears hold G on the keyboard to reset to defaults, including getting out of kiosk mode.

ConfGen
    ConfGen
    Keymaster
    • Total Post: 8570
    • Jedi Master
    • ★★★★★★★

If that does not work, try repeat pushing the “g” key during the whole boot process.

CG

IceEyes
    Participant
    • Total Post: 1

Helpful information and was able to clean these and update thanks to you.

I was trying to install windows 95 or similar in the hopes of using the system as an old dos games station and the thought of 512MB flash was good, but upon further investigation it would appear the “512MB” is really 512mbit, so 64mb.

Samsung part number K91208U0B

https://www.datasheets360.com/part/detail/k9f1208u0b-pcb0/-4596377549810736144/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.